North Well Rehabilitation
Construction crews have disassembled the sound wall surrounding the North Well project site, and are currently backfilling the holes left by the sound walls. In addition to breaking down the concrete bases from the old pump, they will also be removing the old well pump-turbine.
Residents and visitors to the area may notice some dirt or mud in the street as the construction crews drive back and forth to the project site entrance. Rest assured, crews will clean up the dirt and debris each evening.
To best serve our Murrieta customers, we are re-establishing a well site at the corner of Vineyard Parkway and Kentucky Derby Way. The North Well will replace an older well that was decommissioned in 2017 because the infrastructure no longer met our standards. However, the quality of the groundwater remains high, so the new well will provide a critical local water source for our Murrieta customers.
Upon completion, the water from the North Well will service Murrieta customers exclusively, providing long-term supply reliability. The North Well is expected to produce 750 gallons of water per minute or 1.09 million gallons per day. This is almost enough water to fill two Olympic-sized swimming pools.
Western is dedicated to finding local water sources to provide safe and reliable water for our customers. We serve an area where droughts are a regional reality. Without many local water sources, we have been relying on more expensive imported water.
We expect to have the well in service by the summer of 2020.
- Well site is located at the corner of Vineyard Parkway and Kentucky Derby Way.
- The older well was decommissioned in 2017 when its operation no longer met our quality standards.
- Water from the well will only be used exclusively for Western's Murrieta customers.
- North Well is expected to produce 750 gallons of water per minute or 1.08 million gallons per day. That's almost enough water to fill two Olympic-sized pools.
- Temporary walls have been installed at the project site to reduce the sound of drilling noise. When the project is complete we will remove the temporary structures.